Thursday, April 8, 2021

Patti's Memories

Patricia Lou Crawford

April 1, 1958

I weighed 5 pounds at birth


Mother was age 31

Father was age 38

Larry was age 15

Barb was age 9

Donna was age 4


Mother: Hazel Lucille Mutzner Crawford  -  1927-1991

Father: Lonzie Crawford  -  1920-1991

Brother: Larry Keith - 1944-1994

Sister: Joyce Jean - 1946-1946

Sister: Barbara Louise  - 1948

Sister: Donna Fay - 1954

Brother: Christopher Beal - 1960






 



My Story

 

21 S. Williams Street was my home from birth until I moved out when I was 18. My older siblings were Larry, Barb, and Donna. Mom told me I only wanted her and would not let anyone else help. Mom asked Dad what they should name me and he suggested Ethel or Patricia. Since he had never offered ideas for naming any of my siblings, mom said she felt she had to choose one. She didn’t like Ethel so Patricia it was. My middle name Lou came from my Grandma Mutzner’s middle name LuLu.

 

Our house before we "added three rooms" and re-sided it.

Our home after rooms and siding were added. The Santa Claus on the door was used for many years.


When I was two Chris was born. My dad worked shiftwork at Laclede Steel Mill and my mother took care of us children until Chris started school. Then Chris and I had a babysitter who lived down the street.

 

1961 circa Chris and me.

1961 circa Could be Helen, Lylah, mom, dad, me, and Randy (cousin).


When I was very young, our house had two bedrooms. One for mom and dad and one for me, Barb, Donna, and Chris. Larry slept in the breezeway or utility room. There were two sets of bunk beds, Barb and Donna shared one set and Chris and I shared the other. It had one tiny closet. When I was about nine, we added two bedrooms and a family room to the house. Barb and Donna each had their own bedrooms. When Barb left and I moved into one of the new bedrooms.

 

We could paint our rooms any color we wanted. I painted mine bright canary yellow with lime green trim. Chris’ room was painted dark purple to use with his night light and posters.

 

1962 circa - I'm thinking Larry wore those shoes 15 years before I did.

We had huge jars of Vaseline around the house. When I was maybe four, I smeared handfuls of it into my hair. I couldn’t leave my baby brother out of this marvelous experiment. I then smeared it all over his head too. After my mom finally washed it all out, she said my golden locks were beautiful and shiny. I'm surprised I had any hair left!

 


1962 circa

There was an aluminum bowl with a lid stored on top of the refrigerator. I knew it held mysterious treasures. I saw mom get what I thought was a chocolate bar out of it one time. It was really a laxative. I wanted that chocolate bar really bad. I climbed on a chair, retrieved it, and enjoyed what I thought was a very rare treat. Of course, I shared it with my baby brother. I'm sure it was yummy. Yikes!

On cold mornings, mom would turn on the oven and open the door to warm the kitchen.  She must have learned that from her grandmother who did that to warm her aching legs when she was little. I learned to do it for myself. I also sat by the heat register that was in the corner of the living room behind a chair. I did this many mornings before dressing for school.

Barb learned in social studies in school that people in other countries ate different things; like bugs. One day she told Chris and I to take a nap. We were too old for naps, but we did as we were told. We heard a lot of commotion and giggling coming from the kitchen. It was just too intriguing not to check it out. I went to the kitchen and found Barb, Donna, and Barb’s friends trying to fry grasshoppers in a pan. Every time they took the lid off, the grasshoppers would jump out and they’d scream and laugh. She tried to get me to taste one, but I was too smart for that!

 

Aluminum jar that was kept on top of the refrigerator.


1964 In the back yard.

At the end of our street was a VFW building and park with a road circling the building. On the way to the VFW was a very steep hill. At the bottom of the hill were railroad tracks. On each side of the tracks were ditches with frogs, tadpoles, and crawdads. Chris and I would walk up and down the tracks catching critters and entertaining ourselves for hours. There was a field in the back of our house. Through the field and to the right was a hill with a wooded drop-off to the railroad tracks. We built a little shelter with pieces of wood and trash. It as our secret hideout.

 

1964 circa Chris and me.

Both Donna and Barb told me they went sledding, but I was too small to go. They said our brother Larry would turn an old car hood upside down and tie it to a car and pull them around the circle road in the VFW park. Our neighbors would tie sleds up to a car and pull all the neighborhood kids around the park.

 

1962 I'm guessing that's Donna and Chris in the background.

When we didn’t have snow boots, mom taught me to wrap our shoes with plastic “Bunny Bread” sacks and secure them with rubber bands around our ankles. I remember using socks for gloves too.

 


I walked about half a mile to the Cottage Hills Grade school. In first grade I went to speech class. I think they decided that I didn't have a problem with speech, I was just too shy to talk. I was always self-conscious and shy. I had friends but I didn't like school. I remember that I only knew two colors in kindergarten, and I was the only one with only two Indian feathers in my headdress. I was elected Butterfly Queen and was crowned at the annual school festival/play a couple of times. Chris got elected King a couple of times too.

 

1963 Butterfly Queen

When we were little, we had numerous pets at different times; rabbits, a parakeet, and numerous dogs. One dog was a black beagle named Black Jack. He could be vicious at times. When I fed him, I'd sometimes get so scared I’d just drop the bowl and run, spilling everything. Later we got another beagle. This one was sweet. We named her White Jack. When I was older, I had a black poodle mix named Charcoal. I loved that dog. Mom loved it too. She fed it and taught it tricks. In high school I had a dog named Peppy.

 

1964 Rabbits outside the breeze-way

1962 Bambi and me


1963 Bambi and me


One time Chris was bit by a dog while walking home from school. Mom was at work and I was watching Chris. It was a nasty looking bite and nearly made me faint. I was so distraught that I called mom at work. That was the only time I ever called her at work. She calmly told me to wash it off with a cool washcloth and put a bandage on it. It would be ok. She calmed me down and I did as she instructed.

 

1960

I got my first Barbie doll when I was ten. It was a Stacy Doll with red hair and her legs were bendable. I loved her! I sewed a lot of clothes for her. I don't remember my mom teaching me to sew, but she must have. She taught me to embroidery and crochet. In the fifth grade, a fellow student asked me if I knew how to use a sewing machine and if I could teach her. I agreed to go to her house. She lived farther down highway 140 than I had ever walked, but mom gave me permission to go. I gave her some instructions and that was it.

 

1960 Chris and me

Halloween was great fun. We'd dress up in something, mostly from around the house. We’d join neighborhood kids and trick or treat. We’d fill pillowcases completely full of candy. We walked for miles on both sides of highway 140. When I was probably 12, I made paper mache heads of Snoopy and Charlie Brown. I layered newspaper and paste made of flour and water on a big Hoppity Hop ball. They were huge! To get them to stay on, I cut notches for shoulders on each side. They were really cool! I also made dummies and ghosts to hang in our front yard tree.

 

1962 Halloween Barb and me


1970 circa Halloween, Snoopy costume I made out of paper mache.

1970 Halloween costumes. Chis is Snoopy and I'm Charlie Brown. I made our two costumes. The other two are neighborhood friends from behind our house.

Mom always dressed us kids up for Easter. I loved Easter because I loved the chocolate Bunny and candy!

 

1962 Easter

Mom loved Christmas. She may not have had much money, but she made it special. We always had a Christmas tablecloth and sometimes candles. Mom made a turkey, dressing, and all the extras. She even made Christmas curtains for the kitchen out of plastic Christmas tablecloths. When we were little Aunt Honey would come over with her kids.

 

1964

1964 I think that might be a record player on the top left. 


1962


1964 Christmas Chaos! Look at all the wrapping paper and Chris' pants.


1966 It was dad's job to hand the gifts out. Oh, boy, it was so much fun.


1968


1969 For a time we had huge, real Christmas trees. This looks like the cannister set we made for mom out of shelf paper and coffee cans.


I remember helping mom make the stuffing. Several days before Christmas we’d rip bread into pieces and store it in the garage to dry out. On Christmas eve we’d cut up vegetables and add seasoning. I loved this tradition.

 

Mom always had a nice Christmas dinner.

We never had new wrapping paper. After the gifts were opened, we would straighten out the paper and save it flat in a box in the garage. One time we made mom a set of canisters out of coffee cans covered with sticky shelf paper. We had a big plastic door cover with a Santa on it that we put on our front door every year. I loved it. We decorated a cardboard fireplace. When Barb was married, Donna drove us to Breeze and we all worked on a fake fireplace as a surprise for mom. It even had electric logs that looked like fire. Fancy. As we grew older, we played cards or board games on Christmas.

 

1964 Daniel Boone aka Chris.

One year I got up in the middle of the night to see if Santa had delivered our presents, I saw a huge and beautiful doll. I knew it had to be mine. It was not in a box and I don't think it was new. It was a magical vision though. In later years I Googled it and discovered the doll was a Patty PlayPal 35” doll. I’ve always tried to make the vision of the tree and presents on Christmas morning special for you. That came from my mom.

There are two smells that still bring back memories of Christmas. The smell of rubber from a new doll and the smell of oranges.


1963 circa. Calm before the storm!

Dad brought Barb a surprise doll once. Barb remembered he stayed late at a bar on Christmas Eve. When he finally came home, he brought her a doll that he’d bought at the bar. She was mad at him for not coming home therefore she didn't like the doll. Donna remembers she was hurt that she didn't get one. I too wished I could have one. I thought it was incredibly beautiful! A white snow angle doll with a fur skirt, halo, and wings. It was a music box.

 

Barb's Christmas Doll looked like this.

One year when I was in high school, mom and I were home alone on Christmas eve. We were setting out the gifts and candy. We always put out a big box of Whitman's chocolates. I had stopped in the living room and was sitting on the couch making my chocolate selections. I heard an eerie strange sound like a ghost. I heard it in intervals. Finally, I decided it was coming from outside. Mom and I took turns sticking our head out the door far enough to hear it. We finally opened the garage door and there was dad. He had fallen in the icy snowy driveway. We got him inside and warmed him up. He was fine.

 

1964 Looks like I got a sailor dress and someone got a hair drier in a case.

Mom didn’t drive. When one of us needed to go to the doctor, we walked to Bethalto. I didn't like walking along the highway. One time the doctor gave mom a case of iron samples for me.

 

When Barb was probably 18, she’d sometimes get home so late from a date that Dad would be up for the day. She’d have to climb in Donna’s window. There was a little step outside Donna’s window that was essential.

 

1965 circa Donna. Oh, the adventures she must have had on that bike.


1965 circa Patti in field behind house. I had friends behind the two buildings in the back ground and cut across the field many times to play with them.

1965 circa. This looks like it's the side of our house by the garage (by Grables).

1964 circa We watched cartoons on that black and white TV every weekend morning.


Occasionally mom would send us to the bar to get dad. Usually, it was just down the street at the VFW. None of us wanted to go inside to get him. It was dark, smelled sour, and was smoky. He'd get us a Yoo Hoo, then he could stay longer while we drank it. Oh man, that was special. Sometimes, he wasn't at the VFW. Then we had to walk down highway 140 to the New Moon bar.

 

1966 circa side of our house. We had irises that grew along the side of the house.

One time dad took me, Donna, and Chris to the New Moon. Dad wouldn't leave the bar until Donna danced with an older lady. She did it even though she really didn't want to. Dad took us to an older couple's dark ramshackle house. There were chickens running around in the house. 

 




In Girl Scouts I earned several badges. We went on a camping trip where I had my first smores. Another time we went to a camp and stayed in cabins. We wrote our own skits and preformed them later.

 

1969 Age 11

Donna was four years older than me, tall, thin, gorgeous, and smart. She was everything I wanted to be. She got straight A's. When she was still in high school, she took an aviation class and learned to fly a plane at the St. Louis Regional Airport in Bethalto. How cool is that!

 

Donna and Chris. We had a piano, but no one played it although it looks like there are music sheets on it. Looks like Chris got a watch and Donna got a purse and Polaroid camera.

Donna by her new car - Duster. The building on the left is a little store, Brownies, that was on Hwy 140. It was a restaurant after Brownies and possibly torn down. The Building on the right belonged to the neighbors, the Grables. 


My mom’s father, Christian Mutzner, seemed like a quiet, kind man. I only remember seeing him a few times. The only time I remember seeing my Grandpa Mutzner at our house, he came in the back door and brought a big pot of something. He didn't stay. Chili or soup maybe. It could have been when dad was laid off. It's possible that he left a pot of food and I didn't actually see him, maybe I only remember the story and conjured up the visuals. He gave us several nice paint by number paintings. They hung on our walls for years.  He took Barb berry picking once, made Donna a beautiful bookcase. She loved to read and read all the Nancy Drew books. 


One time Grandpa Mutzner took Chris and me to Horseshoe Lake fishing. I don't remember him picking us up or dropping us off. We had never been fishing before. He cleaned them before we left the lake and gave us both what I believe was fish lungs. We walked around the back yard with our trophy lungs until they deflated.

Here's a story that involved my Grandpa Mutzner. This took place possibly in 1965 when mom applied for her first job in the laundry at Alton Memoria Hospital, she did not know how to drive and did not have a car. Her dad gave her a ride to apply for the job. She had no idea how she would get to work if they hired her. She got the job and I'm guessing her dad gave her rides for a while. I do know that she had a ride from co-workers for years before she could drive herself. Barb taught her to drive.


Christian Philipp Mutzner - Grandpa

I saw my dad’s father, Rueben Crawford a few times when we visited Georgia. I don’t remember my dad’s mother, Lessie at all.


Rueben Beal Crawford. He was quiet, smoked a pipe, and drank Coke.

 Aunt Honey was the youngest of mom's sisters. She was always nice to us. She had three children Jill, Linda, and Jon. They were all younger than me. We played with paper dolls and spent holidays together and occasionally, I spent the night with them. Aunt Honey was married to Elvin Buford. I remember they paid me to baby sit for them about once a week for a month. Uncle Elvin would pick me up in Cottage Hills, drive me to Edwardsville where they lived, and drive me back home. I'm sure they only did this as a way to give me money.

 

Helen Mutzner Buford



1964 circa Grants Farm with Beverly?, Donna, Chris, Jill, and me.

Mom’s sister, Aunt Lylah, was married to Willy Hock. They had two children, Beverly and Randy who were both older than me. Aunt Lylah stayed with us for a few days one time. She had a motorcycle delivered to our house. The guy gave her a few instructions. She got on the bike and drove it right into the side of our house. She was not hurt very bad, but she did fly off of it. She never got back on it. She had an awesome rock collection from her travels. She asked you to pick one out to take home. After way too much thought you finally selected the one you liked, but she just couldn't part with it and you selected a couple more before you found one she could part with.

 

Barb, Patti, Chris, Lylah, Beverly

My mom’s oldest sister Aunt Loretta was married to Jim Sayler. She moved to Kankakee, Illinois and went to college. After her four children were born, she had a physical to go back to college. Breast cancer was identified during that physical. The summer Barb was 10 years old mom sent her to help Aunt Loretta. She took a train to Kankakee by herself. Barb was very good with babies. She had never met Aunt Lorretta, but mom must have thought that was the only thing she had to offer that would help her sister. Aunt Loretta died in 1964 when she was 38.

 

Loretta Mutzner Sayler

Barb, Donna, and I always helped cook meals. Dad liked meat, potatoes, and gravy.

 

We'd get 100 loaves of old bread cheap from the Bunny Bread Store. They would fill the back of our car. Then take them home to store in our big deep freezer.

 

Mom pierced my ears with a sewing needle and thread. It worked great!

 

1971 circa. Donna and Patti. I'm wearing a school colors top I made for pep club. Go Royals!

When I was in junior high, I went to a Pentecostal church with my friends. We just went for a few months. We went to their church camp for one or two nights with a youth group.


1969, Nov. 8. Barb's wedding. The dresses and hats were homemade. We cut out cardboard to make the hats stiff. The girl next to me is Barbara Jean (Larry C.'s wife) and Jill Buford (cousin) was the flower girl.
 

1970 circa. Eating the last piece of bologna. The head hanging by the window was filled with curlers.

Once when I was 14, I was getting into the front seat of a car with my friends. Someone closed the door on my hand. As I looked through the windshield, I could see my fingers moving outside the window. The girls put my hand in ice water. It was fine in the morning, but it sure did throb all night.

 

1971 circa Chris, Donna, Patti, neighbor playing Monopoly. Notice the RC Cola bottles.

In junior high I had just started going steady with a boy. We weren't old enough to drive and didn't date yet. He told me about a haunted house he wanted to show me. He suggested my friend Jane and her boyfriend John should come too. John went to school in Alton and my boyfriend had never met him. John couldn't go. Jane, June, and I conceived a plan for June to dress up as a boy and pose as John. We put a short haired wig on her and dressed her in boyish looking clothes. Donna gave us a ride. The adventure kicked up a notch when police arrived with a bull horn and shined lights into the old house. We ran out the back and through a corn field, then walked to my boy friend's house. We called Donna to pick us up. That was one crazy, silly lark for sure!

 

1971 circa. Jill Buford, Barb, Patti, Chris and Uncle Elvin in the background.

I fainted easily as a child and even as a young adult. I fainted once in science class. We were watching a medical film. I fainted and fell out of my chair and onto the projector cord stopping the movie. One time I fainted in chorus. Another time we were on a Future Nurses of America field trip to a medical museum in St. Louis. The ancient medical contraptions seemed so horrific that I fainted in the museum. I was president of the club, some future nurse I made. I'm not making these stories up. They really happened and my old class mates would be more than happy to verify.

 

Mom with Charcoal

One of our cars was a huge square, white tank. One of the doors wouldn't latch so we had a rope stretched from the front passenger side to the back seat door to hold it closed. Years later we had a smaller car that would die after a stop. It was important to be prepared for this when exiting our street onto highway 140. It would die every time.

 

1978 circa Hazel and Lonzie


Goofing off with a friend in my room.


1973 circa vacation dad, Chris, and me.


1974 circa Chris, Larry K, Jill, and me. Barb and Larry had a boat and took us boating on Lake Carlyle.



1974 circa Mom and me decorating a cotton Christmas tree. I wrapped cotton batting around a dead tree limb. Ta Da!


In the summer we had a metal water trough we'd fill with water for swimming. Donna and I would lather ourselves up with baby oil and sunbathe in the back yard. I'd put Sun-In or Lemon juice in my hair to give it blond streaks.

 

1973 circa Maybe this was Mom's birthday or Mom and Dad's anniversary. Grandpa Mutzner painted the snowy picture that's on the wall.

One of the first, dates I remember was when I was 16. Miniskirts were in style, but there was a new fashion trend, “Sizzlers”. Sizzlers were insanely short dresses with panties to match. Like ice skating skirts. I had just gotten one for my birthday. I thought I was hot stuff. We went to the drive-in show with Donna and Don.

 

16th Birthday wearing Sizzler dress

I loved the activities and friendships in Junior High school. I rode the bus with the Pep Club to games. I was a candy striper at Wood River Hospital, and I volunteered one summer to work with DD children in the Special School District. I dated a couple of guys in my class. My best friends were Jane from school and June from down my street. June and I walked to the bus stop together. Our bus stop location was the Matador Lounge on 140. That was a really rough bar. I guess it didn’t matter since the bar wasn’t open at 7 am. One time there was a passed-out patron outside the door. What in the world were the school officials thinking?

 

1972 circa. Donna, Kyle, and me on my birthday. The faux fire place Barb and Larry K helped us make for Mom is on the right.

The first time Barb came to visit with her new baby girl, Jill, I was so excited and couldn't wait for school to end so I could see her. I rushed outside and the buses were all gone. I was frantic and upset thinking I had missed the bus. I ran most of the way home just to find out that school had not ended yet!

 

1974 circa Look we found a bunny! Jill, mom, me, Donna, and Chris. Looks like we sewed a little extra at the bottom of his jeans.


1972 circa Chris, Jill, and Larry K. vroom, vroom!

1973 circa Larry K., Jill, Barb, and Kyle.


1975 circa Jill, mom, and me goofing off. Those are mom's legs.
Note: this used to be Chris' bedroom, it was painted dark purple.


1975 circa Jill and Kyle with my friend from down the street. This is the tree that Dad hung milk jugs in.


Kyle and Jill. She's wearing my present costume.



1975 circa Mom and Jill goofing off.



In 1973 Barb drove Donna, me, and friends to the theater to see the Exorcist. They wouldn’t let me in without an adult, so I had to wait to see it.

 

1975 circa My friend in the family room. You can see mom's Christmas curtains. 

Once friends and I snuck out of the house, walked in the dark down highway 140 to the Matador lounge just to see what was going on in that crazy place. They let us in. It was full of very scary biker dudes.

 

1974 circa Donna and me probably at Carlyle Lake.

One time my friend's big brother had a party and her mom insisted that he allow us younger girls attend too. My friend's brother excluded; the older boys loved us. They shared their slow gin with us and played the song Long Cool Woman by the Holly's. I still love that song.

 

Once a friend and I rode a train to Mount Vernon all by ourselves. We were thrilled and scared. Her parents had friends there. We were supposed to keep the oldest child company while she watched the little ones so her parents could go away for the weekend. When the kids went to bed, the older girl had the entertainment lined up. Of course, it involved driving around with boys and drinking. She said, “I do this all the time, it's fine.” And luckily it was, we made it home and the kids were all snug in their beds.

 

1974 circa Chris

One time a friend and I went swimming in a pond out in the country. We found out later it was a sewer pond for farm animals. A friend's brother taught us to shoot his guns at their property in Mount Pleasant.

 

1974 Donna and Don's wedding. Me, Donna, Don, Jack, Jill, and cousin Jon.
I made my dress.

We didn't have money to go to the Dentist. When Chris had a problem and needed a dentist, mom signed us both up to go to the SIU Dental School in Alton. Years later they reached my name on the list. I was in high school and had never been to a Dentist (at least that I remember). The dental school filled a lot of my teeth. I don't know if they took advantage of me or not but every Dentist I've had since then has commented on all my fillings and how very large they are.

 

Freshman dance

I had two birthday parties. I had a slumber party in fifth grade after our house was “built-on”. Later in junior high school, my friends had a birthday party for me at Jane's house. They made a big cardboard cake and one of the boys jumped out of it! They made a fish cake and a duck cake. I was nicknamed Fish because I made a fish face and a friend's nick name was Ducky.

 

1973 circa birthday party for me and others in a friend's basement.


1973 circa A friend jumping out of a cake at the birthday party.


1973 birthday party duck and fish cakes

I was in the Drama Club in high school and loved it. I was a costume mistress or had very small parts in plays. Once our drama club volunteered to dress up as presents and toys and walk around a grade school’s Christmas celebration. In my senior year I was selected to be a Thespian and for the initiation I had to sing Hound Dog by Elvis, dress like a clown, and wear playing cards on myself. I really loved every minute of it.

 

Thespian club initiation.



1976 Art class made this school mascot, Go Eagles!


1974 circa I'm Kyle's God Mother. I'm wearing Donna's dress. Loved that dress.

Donna and Don drove me and a friend to see Donny Osmond one time. In high school I went to several Mississippi River Festival concerts. It was an outdoor concert venue at SIUE.


1975 working on a ceramic boot for art class.


1975 We dressed up like toys and presents to entertain the grade school kiddos.

 
Sophomore report card. I'm just not interested in science.

Junior year report card. I didn't get algebra. When I took it at a Junior College in Sedalia, it all made sense.

I hated all sports. Especially anything that involved a ball. I was and still am, scared of balls. Ha, ha. Neighborhood kids would play softball in the empty field by our house. No one wanted me on their team. Which was fine, I didn't want to play. I hated PE, dreaded it. I loved art class though. When I was very young, I played A-Tisket-A-Tasket with neighborhood kids.

 

1975 Pom Pom girl. We made our own jumpers.


1975 Prom Committee making decorations for Prom outside our garage.

When I was in high school my boyfriend had a boat and we went water skiing a lot. I was pretty good at it. I'd kick one ski off and slalom on one ski. I really enjoyed this. I rode on his motorcycle without my parents’ knowledge. He also was an airplane pilot. He once flew me to see a friend at Eastern University and home. That was pretty cool.

 

1975 circa stopped on a beach on the Mississippi River while boating.

Dad started collecting plastic gallon milk jugs. He would string them up with really long ropes and tie them in the tree in the back yard. There were hundreds of them. Three long strings about 12 feet long full of milk jugs. At least it wasn't the front yard.

 

I loved high school. I went to the school proms and coronations and made all my dresses except my Freshman dance dress. I was a Pom Pom girl for two years.

 

1974 Prom. I made this dress out of pale blue velvet.



1974 Coronation. This dress was Donna's dress originally. I added sleeves, the white ruffles at the bottom, and added a hoop.


1975 I made this dress and the parasol. I used the pattern from the dress I wore in Donna's wedding.



1975 I made this dress too, same pattern.



1976 Pumpkin dress. I made this dress too. I'm getting really bold with colors.


1976 I made this dress and parasol.


1976

My friends wanted me to join Chorus so I could go on Band Tour with them. I can’t sing at all, but I found the nerve to try out and by some miracle the teacher let me in. We did have lots of fun on band tour.

 

1976 My room. Painted yellow with lime green trim. I made the large stuffed 7 UP bottle for a "Pop Art" project for school.

1976 Band Tour Hotel Lobby


1976 Band Tour Hotel Lobby.

When I was 18, the legal limit for drinking in Illinois changed to 18. After high school I went out with my girlfriends to night clubs. We went to Night Gallery in Wood River, Stonehenge in Belleville, The Grainery, The Admiral boat in St. Louis, etc. We took turns driving. When it was my turn, I drove my mom’s car. We had lots of fun.

 

1976 Homecoming game.

1976 Homecoming game.


Every year a friend would have New Year's Eve parties. They were legendary! Her parents left for the night. It was tradition to play “Thumper” a drinking game.

 

I graduated in 1976. There were about 238 students in our graduating class. Mom and my sisters went to the ceremony. I had been skiing all day and rushed home to put on my cap and gown.

 

1976 Graduation. I was water skiing all day and had to rush home and change into my gown.


1976 Graduation. Love my sisters!

I had sporadic babysitting jobs when I was younger. I worked at different places starting when I was 16. They included: Pizza Hut in Bethalto, Hardee's in Alton, and Dairy Palace in Bethalto. I didn't have a car, but I drove my mom's car.

 

1975 circa The gang's all here.


1974-75 circa Before Chris went into the service.

After high school I worked at Schnucks in Bethalto, but not for long. Mom and dad paid for me to go to Benton's School of Beauty, in Alton to be a hair stylist. They offered it to me and didn’t ask me to pay them back. I don't remember ever being that interested in hair. I did feel it was artistic work and that maybe I'd be good at it. Since college was not in the picture, and this was offered, I took it. I had a great time in Beauty School. It was a new set of friends and we went out together on weekends. I was a bridesmaid in one of their weddings.

 

1977 Student of Benton's School of Cosmetology. With my case of rollers and books. I had to wait two months to take the test. I passed and was a licensed cosmetologist.

1977 Chis home on leave.

1977 circa This was the house I rented in Alton with a friend from beauty school. I wasn't there very long. I moved to Brookfield shortly after that.


After Beauty School, I needed to pass a state test to be licensed in the State of Illinois. I had to wait two months to take the test in Springfield, Illinois. I got a job working at A Kut Above in Godfrey as a receptionist. I moved in with a friend from beauty school. It was a cool old house she rented in Alton. Then Donna asked me to come live with her and Don in Brookfield, Missouri while I was waiting to take my test. I did eventually take my Illinois State test and was a licensed Cosmetologist. Although I never worked as one. I quit my job and moved to Brookfield. Oh, boy was that fun! Donna, Don, and I were like the three musketeers. We called each other, Big Buddy, Buddy, and Little Buddy. Don was working as a Golf Course Manager and they lived in a house that was provided for them by the Golf Course. It was at the top of a high hill overlooking the golf course. There were barns for the equipment and a little lake with a sandy beach and a concession stand. I got a job correcting mistakes in the text of yearbooks at Walsworth Publishing, in Marceline. I loved the job. Donna also got a job there and we rode to work together. Mary Ann came to visit us a couple of times. We’d party on the weekends. There were field and barn parties. In the mornings, I'd jog down to number nine (the ninth hole on the golf course) and back in my curlers. I saved my money and with $1,000, I bought a baby-poo brown Ford Pinto from a friend at work. It was a stick shift. I had never driven a stick before. Yikes. My friend taught me quickly in a field. I made it to our house at the top of a steep hill. I went inside to have dinner. The three of us were sitting at the table and we heard a big bang. We looked out and my baby-poo Pinto had rolled down the hill toward the barn and hit the “club” truck. It was sort of stuck under the truck. The truck wasn’t hurt, but the car was smashed up. While it was being repaired, Mom let me use her car. Mom to the rescue!



Donna wrote this about our summer of 78.











1977 circa


1979 circa My first car, baby-poo brown Ford Pinto. Mom and Dad's back yard.


1977 Night before a snow ski trip with Donna, Donn, Barb, and Larry.


1977 Snow skiing with Barb.


1978 Brookfield MO with Donna.


1979 circa Donna's baby shower.



1980 circa Girls just wanna have fun!


Donna and Don moved to Sedalia Missouri and I went with them. The fun continued. I got a job at Waterloo, Industries. It was a factory that made toolboxes. I worked on the assembly line. I made enough to move into my own place, a converted garage. It was just maybe five feet or so from railroad tracks and of course it was in the owner's yard. I didn’t have a kitchen table and ate on the floor. It had roaches and shook like crazy when a train went by. The train tracks are now the Katy Trail and the garage house is no longer there. I used a coat hanger to tie my car’s muffler up. It would fall down every time I went home and drove over the railroad tracks. I'd stop the car, get out, and put the muffler back up. Then off I'd go. I bought a waterbed. I made myself a comforter out of sheets. I loved that place. I went to antique stores and bought old wine glasses. None of them matched, but I loved them. During this time Mary Ann came to visit a few weekends. At Waterloo, there was a group of young single girls that went out together. One day they asked me to come along to a disco bar named Flumdungeons. At the bar, your dad came up to our table. He had a long blond perm and fit right in at the Disco. He asked me to dance. We had a good time and he offered me a ride home. We drove to my little garage house. We talked and I proceeded to dance around. I continued the dance outside to the hood of my car. He was worried someone in the big house would see and he coaxed me down and back into the house. He went home and told his roommate that he was going to marry me. We became close and had lots of fun. Other bars we went to were the Red Apple, The Wolf’s Den, and Crouches. Here's something unique about Flumdungeons. Years later when we were working at Bellefontaine Habilitation Center, we met a couple that also went to Flumdungeons. Small world. 

I moved into a duplex, then into a big old house with a work friend, then I moved in with your dad. He was living in a house that his dad owned. His dad had lived in Sedalia but moved to Washington State. Your dad was going to college in Warrensburg, MO and worked at Radio Shack when I met him. Later he worked as a bartender at a bar, then the Hotel Bothwell. We had some good times at his dad's house! The Missouri State Fair is held in Sedalia. I went once. It caused traffic jams.

 

Halloween costume I made for Kyle.



1978 costume I made for Jill while living with Donna in Brookfield.

I fell asleep on the way to work one day and wrecked my Pinto. I hit the steering wheel and my front bottom teeth went through my face between my chin and bottom lip. While the car was being repaired, my wonderful mother let me use her car to get to work.


1980 circa 


1978 circa Donna's house in the country in Sedalia.


1978 circa Barb and Larry visit Donna, Don, and me in Sedalia. I think they were supposed to pout, but Kyle didn't going along with it.


1979 circa Bill in my water bed in my garage house in Sedalia, MO.


1979 circa Bill eating in my garage house in Sedalia, MO.

1978 circa In my garage house. It was right next to a railroad tracks. When trains came by the house would shake.


1978 circa Donna and Don in my garage house. That is an antique trunk I revamped.


1980 Christmas time.


1980 circa


1979 circa Bill


1980 circa New Years eve.


1980 Cotton Christmas tree. Bill and I had a trailer in Sedalia, MO. I made the macrame lion and elephant on the wall.

In 1980 I asked your dad to marry me. I had to bring it up more than once and make it seem appealing. We had known each other less than a year. I was 22 and your dad was 26. He had been out of the army for about four years and was still in college and working part time. I worked at Waterloo. 



1979 Bill and me in my Duplex.


We had driven to Fort Dodge to meet his family once before the wedding, but I really didn't know them. His grandmother (his dad's mom), his mom, Kathy, Pam, and Carolyn came to our wedding. 

1979 circa I met Bill's family. Maxine, Pam, Carolyn, Kathy, Ma, and Bill.


1980 My wedding shower.

I saw a picture of a wedding dress in a Brides magazine and I made my wedding dress like the one in the picture. It was a very difficult design. I can't believe I had the nerve to try it. Mom gave me $80 to get the fabric. I didn't have a pattern for the exact design but I just made adjustments. Jill was the flower girl and Donna made her a dress to match mine. A little mini wedding dress for little Jill! Donna is amazing. Both dresses were gorgeous. 


The design I didn't choose for my wedding dress.

The design for my wedding dress.

I was living with your dad before we got married. I didn't want my parents to know. The weekend of our wedding I moved some stuff into Donna and Don's house and told them that I lived with Donna. Mom, dad, Chris, Barb, Larry, Jill and Kyle were at Donna’s house. Aunt Honey came to the wedding too. 


1980 Wedding rehearsal dinner.

Your dad and I planned to meet at the courthouse the day before the wedding to get the marriage license. Your dad didn't show up. I waited and then looked in every bar in town. I couldn’t find him. I went back to the courthouse and waited until they closed at 3:30pm. By this time I was really distraught. The lady behind the counter said she had something to do in the other room and that if he came in, to have him sign the paper. She placed the paper in front of me and left the room. Pretty soon she came back into the room. She looked right at me and said, “I would never know if he was here or not. I just need his signature. I don’t have to see him sign it”. Wow, this was a legal document, in an official office of the State. It seemed she was giving me approval and the opportunity to sign his name. So, I did. She came back, I gave her the paper and left. I sat on your dad's front porch and waited for him. He had been at Pizza Hut drinking and playing liars poker. He completely forgot about the appointment to sign the marriage license. He wasn’t backing out, yay! 


1980 Getting ready at Donna's house.

Barb was always good with hair. She fixed my hair in a bun. 



1980. OK, we're ready, let's do this thing!


I loved color and wanted something different for the wedding. I selected an off the shoulder pattern for the bridesmaids. I told them to make their dress out of any white eyelet lace. It would be fine if they were a little different. They all wore white floppy hats. A hippy thing. For all the bouquets I got bright colored artificial flowers from K-Mart and tied them with a ribbon. We had a white cake with lots of bright colored flowers on the top and falling down the side of three tiers.
We got married outside in a park. It was a beautiful day.


 

1980 Mr. and Mrs. Jewell


1980 Wedding day. I made the dress and parasol. Barb fixed my hair.


1980 Wedding. Donna made Jill's dress to match mine. I made my dress.


1980 Bill and Kyle



Chris, Don, Andy, Bill Bayless, Kyle, Bill, me, Jill, Donna, Mary Ann, Mary K, Robin, Ginny



Cake with bright flowers



Maybe this is why Bill wanted to wash the car.



1980 Pam, Carolyn, and Kathy at our wedding.


1980 wedding cake picture.



1980 walking down the aisle with dad. The couple in the background is Rick and Karen Ream. I lived with Karen for about a month before moving in with Bill.



Our reception was held in the back of a restaurant. There was no music or dancing, but there was a cash bar. It was a nice reception.

Afterwards I wanted us to go out with my friends who had come from Illinois. Your dad wanted to go home and get some rest because we had to get up early and have breakfast with his family before they left. This was the first I heard about the breakfast. Who has an early breakfast appointment the day after they get married? On our way home your dad stopped to wash the car. Now I was upset, he wanted to take the time to wash the car but couldn't have a drink with friends who drove so far to come to our wedding. At the car wash I got out of the car and started off down the road. I don't think I knew where I was going. To your dad's credit, he did come after me and coaxed me back. I know this sounds like a rocky start, but we've been together 41 years and I can honestly say your dad is my best friend and partner in crime. Your dad is supportive and always there when I need him. He makes my life better and yours too. We are so lucky we found each other (and that I coaxed him into marriage and he coaxed me back to the car wash).


1980 We did it!



Ma, Maxine, me, and Billy.



High school friends at the reception.

For our honeymoon, we had signed up for a couple of free nights at Bella Vista, a retirement community. We had to sit through a sales pitch, but it was near the Ozarks and the property had a pool. We went to a water park one day. We also had a tent and camped a couple of nights. I paid $5 for the tent at a garage sale.



1980 Honeymoon



1980 Honeymoon. I bought this tent at a garage sale for $5. We had never put it together.


1980 Honeymoon. We went to Bella Vista, a retirement community near the Ozarks, for free. We just had to sit through a sales pitch.

After we got married, I went to work for K-Mart in Sedalia in the restaurant. They had a full-service restaurant with a separate door. I was a cook. Yep. I made meat loaf, strawberry short cake, cleaned the fryers, etc. 


1980 circa Bill and Jenny with our trailer in the background.



1980 circa Our trailer in Sedalia, MO. I was into macrame for a while. I made the lion, elephant, hanging table (right), and plant hanger (left).


1983 Godparents to baby Erin Cherry. Erin was such a sweet baby, she made us decide that we could be parents too.



1981 circa Skiing at Copper Mountain in Colorado. I had altitude sickness and passed out while standing in a long line for the lift. Darn it. I did feel better later and was able to ski.

At first we lived in your dad's father's house. The house sold and we moved to a trailer. Then Donna moved to Illinois and put her Sedalia house up for sale. We moved into her empty house.

After your dad graduated with a Business Degree from Central Missouri State University, he got a job working in HR for the State of Missouri at Bellefontaine Habilitation Center in Florissant, Missouri. We moved to Florissant, then bought an adorable little white house on Albers Lane in Bethalto Illinois. I got a transfer to the Florissant K-Mart and later transferred to the Alton K-Mart. 


When you were two, I started working for the State as a part-time third shift switchboard operator at Bellefontaine Habilitation Center. Soon I worked full time. Donna helped me pass the state typing test. I will forever be grateful to her. I got promoted to a clerical position in the Quality Assurance Office. I also worked in Purchasing, Staff Development, and the Assistant Superintendent's office. 


2001 circa My office at Bellefontaine Habilitation Center. I worked there from 1986 to 2002. Then left to work at Fleishman Hillard 2002-2006. Then came back to BHC from 2006-2013.


 We moved from Florissant apartments to our first home. It was an adorable little white house on Albers Lane in Bethalto.


1979 Our first house on Albers Lane. We loved that house!


1979 Our first house. The back yard. We turned the back porch into a bedroom.
 

1982 circa

1983 in our first house on Albers Lane. I re-sewed some of your dad's shirts to be maternity tops. I made the macrame curtain on the left.


1984 the morning you were born. Kathy and Pam were visiting and left for home the same morning that I went into labor.


Laura MacKenzie Jewell

June 13, 1984

11:27 am

 

The morning I went into labor, June 13, 1984, your dad’s sisters, Kathy and Pam were visiting from Ft. Dodge. They had to leave to go home the same morning your dad and I left to go to the hospital. The placenta pulled loose, and I had an emergency cesarean. When I held you in my arms, I could not believe how beautiful you were! My heart skipped a beat for sure. I was in awe and instantly madly in love with this beautiful creature. I thought you would have blond hair or be bald, but you had lots of brown hair. Surprise, surprise.

 

1984 Our precious baby girl!

You were born at 11:27 am at Alton Memorial Hospital.





Your dad liked the name Nichole and I liked the name Sarah. We both liked Laura. Your middle name MacKenzie is your father’s middle name.

 

1984 Laura Jewell. You slept in a crib in the dining room until your dad turned the back porch into a bedroom for us. Then you had your own room. I made this quilt and pillows. Mom may have crocheted the little animals. Awe, you're so sweet!


 

1984 Bill, Laurie, Duke, and me. We're a family!

The doctor told me that after surgery I needed blood, but it was not worth the risk to give it to me. Years later I realized it was the start of the spread of AIDS. Blood wasn't yet screened for it.

 

After you were born your dad’s mom came to stay with us a few days. Then my mom came to stay with us to help a night or two.

 

1985 Laura MacKenzie Jewell


1984 You loved Duke, our dog. Your first word was Doot!


1985 Your dad, you, and Duke. Your first word was Doot!



My mom worked when you were small but was crazy about you. She played games with you and would sit with you and make button necklaces.


1980 Mom holding our baby Laurie. So precious!


1984 You and Grandma Crawford


1985 circa the three of us.

You were a really good baby when you were home. You didn't want anyone else to hold you. Your first babysitter watched you and a baby boy for less than a year. In junior high you dated that same boy. Your next babysitter took care of you for the next three years until you started day care. She said you were happy and fine. Years later she told me that you cried continuously for the first four days. She didn't think she could stand it. Then one day you were fine. Barb watched you while your dad and I went away for the weekend when you were maybe six months old. She said she though she would go crazy with all your crying. You just liked to be home with mom and dad. You were a wiggly, fun, sweet toddler. Your first word was Doot (Duke our dog).


My dad had a loud voice. He sounded mad even when he wasn't. All his grandchildren were afraid of him except you. You were not the least bit intimidated. You would climb into your Grandpa's lap. When he was sleeping with his door shut, you would go right into his bedroom, which was very dark (it had heavy blankets at the windows) and climb in bed with him. The two of you were close.


1984 You and Grandpa Crawford. Mom's embroidery thread at the bottom of the picture.

1989 Laurie Mac and Grandpa


 

1990 circa Laurie and my dad

1989 circa Grandpa Jewell, Laurie Mac, Billy


I worked at BHC from 1986 to 2001. Then left and worked at Fleishman-Hillard as an assistant from 2001-2005. I then went back to BHC working in the IT department from 2005-2013, at first as a Computer Tech Trainee then worked my way up. I loved it and could not believe my good luck for getting a job in IT. I worked at several locations in the St. Louis area. Through the years I took several IT, general studies, Stenography, and quilting classes at two different community colleges.

We lived in the house on Briarwood for 28 years. In 2014 we moved to St. Peters, Missouri.



2010 My cubical in the Wainwright Building in downtown St. Louis.



2009 circa Wainwright Building downtown.


2011 circa Servers, probably in the Wainwright Building.

2009 circa Telephone room at the Wainwright Building. When staff moved offices, I would move their phone numbers to ring at their new location.


2013, October 31 My last day of work!


*** I wrote this when I retired. ***

October 31, 2013 was my last day. I’m officially retired from the State of Missouri, Office of Administration. Wow, I thought this day would never come, but here it is. I've worked since I  was 16 except for the two months I took off when Laurie was born.

 

 Today I feel very happy and content, yay! I’m feeling more emotional than I thought I would.  I thought I’d just walk out the door and not look back and not give it much thought. LOL  I’m not emotional because I’m sad, or don’t want to leave, or I’m getting old,  it’s more like I’m so proud of myself. I'm sure many people who retire feel the same way. I've worked at this job for years and have gathered zillions of details from doing the job and figuring it out. Accumulatively it adds up to an enormous knowledge base specific to my job and, at least to me, it's a huge accomplishment.

Then, one day, I'm retired and all the knowledge that was so vitally important to me is no longer important, nor of any use.

My office was located at:

North Services Center

4040 Seven Hills Drive, Suite 237

Florissant, MO 63033

I was responsible for keeping the State computers, multifunction printers, phones, servers, routers, switches, etc. up and running

for these sites:

 

St. Charles Habilitation Center, 22 Marr Lane

St. Charles Regional Office, 119 Olympic Way

North Services Center, 4040 Seven Hills

Warrenton Satellite site

many WIC and Revenue License Offices throughout N. St. Louis

 

Trust me, I had lots of help. On my cell phone, I have numbers for I.T. in every expertise for the State.

 I also have addresses saved in my TeleNav.  It is very scary to think I traveled for a living! Yikes!



1989 Disney World


1996 My favorite girl!

2008 My family.


2010 circa We took lots of vacations in Jamaica, Cancun, Ireland, etc.



2021 The three of us

1991 The boat we shared with Donna.

1997 Wild child on the river



*** Through The Years ***


Through the years we've had a boat and jet skis and enjoyed hanging out on the Mississippi River. One summer I took you and Kristen to a Safety Boating class so you could drive the Jet Skis yourself. The first time you drove was with another friend, Stephanie. We gave you girls tips and a “safety talk” on the way to Grafton. After we were out on the Mississippi River, we let you girls drive your own Jet Ski. Your dad said, “let’s race”. You girls took off. You left us in the dust. We lost sight of you. This was the area where there are three rivers that connect, Missouri, Illinois, and Mississippi. If you went to one side of an island, you’d be on the Missouri, to the other side, you’d be on the Mississippi. We were so terrified. What if you stalled in front of a barge! We finally decided to stop. Your dad was going to have a beer and try to decide what to do next. We discovered you girls had the ski with the beer in it. In a few minutes you appeared and zipped right by us, waving and laughing. Instant relief. We had failed to tell you to stay within sight. Yikes!

 

We've enjoyed motorcycle rides and trips. Your dad and I bowled on teams. We were on a Soft Ball team for several seasons.

 

When you were small, we took vacations to Florida and Circus Circus in Vegas, we often brought Kristen along. We enjoyed lots of vacations in Destin, Jamaica, Cancun, Ireland, and the US west coast. You and I have had Mother/daughter get-a-ways in California, Chicago, Hermann, Nashville, England and the Cotswolds, and Scotland.

 

I made your Halloween costumes including, an Indian, fairy princess, Spanish dancer, black cat, elephant, and later, a vampire, Doctor Who's Police Call Box, Doctor Who's Romana. and a Renaissance costume. Your dad and I had fun with Halloween and Steampunk costumes including the 50's, pirates, vampires, Slash and Axel, Pandora movie characters, witch and warlock, etc. For several years we created a Halloween Jail in our garage on Briarwood. We cut a hole in the bottom of a witch’s cauldron and filled it with candy, put it on a table that pulled apart in the center and covered it with a tablecloth. Then sat under the table, put our hand through the table and the cauldron to grab or pop out when kids walked up. We dressed in an octopus costume and squirted silly string out of the mouth to surprise the trick-or-treaters.

 

We hiked lots of places including the Grand Canyon. We rode bicycles quite a bit. We enjoy tooling around in convertibles. Of course, we love our doggies.


Note: Bill and Laurie will some day get their own post.


Stuff I like:

reading, wine, travel, popcorn, being a wife & mother, chocolate, dancing, bicycling, crochet & knit, Harry Potter, Christmas trees


*** More Stuff I Like ***

***** designing & sewing costumes *****


1994 circa. Costume I made for Bellefontaine Habilitation Center Parade.






1995 circa. Costume I made for BHC Parade. I created a frame out of wood that attached to my shoulders and back to hold up the top character.



1996 circa. Costume I made for BHC Parade. Mardi Gras theme.



1989 circa Cute little witch!


2015 circa Wood Elf costume for my favorite daughter!



1992 circa. I love making costumes! These were for Ava and Bel.


2005 circa Vampire costume.


2013 circa Doctor Who costume for my favorite daughter.



1994 circa Indian girl costume for Laurie Mac

2018 Witch and broom and Warlock costumes for Witches Night Out in Hannibal.



2018 I made Bill's steampunk costume also. Say hello to steampunk Sheriff Billy Boy.


2018 Steampunk Costume. Ravenclaw Girl. I won 2nd place in Big River Steampunk Festival.


2009 circa Axel Rose and Slash. I made the top hat from an old leather coat. It's oversized on purpose.


2008 Pirate costumes arrr



***** love my doggies! *****

1999 circa Mic (Jagger Jewell) and Sadie. Love my doggies!


Lunabelle. We call her Luna
or as the neighbor boy calls her balloona
or as Stu calls her Lunatic


** loved running for many years **

2001 Run with Donna and Bill in Hot Springs, AR
Donna is an experienced marathon runner.


2001 circa. St. Patrick's day run. I loved running. Donna talked me into doing a run with her and I loved it and ran for many years until my knees couldn't take it anymore.





2000 10 mile run. Day after Thanksgiving annual run. Donna and I did it. 







*** mother / daughter get-a-ways! ***


2019 Cornwall Walking Holiday and Harry Potter Studios in London. Love Mother/Daughter Get-A-Ways!




2016 Edinburgh. We saw castles, took a night cemetery tour, learned to use WiFi calling, and I accidently poured water in Laurie's whiskey thinking it was an empty glass.



2011 Venice Beach, CA. We went for Donna's famous Batman party.



2010 Navy Pier. We went to visit Kristen.


**** Motorcycle Riding with Billy ****



2003 circa. We enjoyed rides and vacations on our motorcycles!

2002 circa

** Painting Rocks, Wine Glasses, etc. ** 



2013 I painted rocks, statues, sign, and stencil on fence.


2012 Rock


2012 Sign I painted for Laurie's house



2014 Wine Glasses



2018 Wine Glasses



2011 Signs for friends


1989 circa. Cotton tree and paper mache pumpkin ornaments I made.


**** Hiking and Walking ****


2012 We hiking the Grand Canyon three times, twice on the Bright Angel Trail and once on the other side. Both times we went about 5 miles down and 5 miles up.


2019 hiked Cornwall, England with my girl!


******** quilting ********



2017 Star wall hanging about 4x5 feet



2018 New York Beauty and Jaco Bean applique. 


2016 My first star quilt.



**** I love baking, especially cookies ****



Baking Christmas cookies with mom's Short Bread recipe.


2010 Cookie Day. We all gather at Jen's house to bake and decorate Christmas cookies.


2014 Cookie Day.


2018 Cookie Day.



******






******** Sewing ********



2020 Harry Potter and Doctor Who stockings.


2020 Harry Potter Stocking

1989 Laurie's stocking, updated 2018 with Luna Lovegood, Harry Potter and Doctor Who charms.




2010 circa formal dress for a friend's daughter. I made some formal dresses for Laurie, but haven't found pictures of them.


2001 circa Prom dress for Laurie Mac.






2014 Tails for all occasions.

2017 St. Patrick's day tails and tutu.

2012 Cut up tshirts

2015 I sold tails and cut up tshirts on Etsy. I made tie dye cut up tshirts too. Then sold a couple rocks at a craft fair.




***** Concerts and Rock Music ******



2017 Waiting in line for El Monstero tickets. Pink Floyd cover band.

 

I’m interested in:

Sinking Ships

World War II


Poem & Sayings:

 

You will teach them to fly,

but they will not fly your flight.

You will teach them to dream,

but they will not dream your dream.

You will teach them to live,

but they will not live your life.

Nevertheless, in every flight,

in every life, in every dream,

the print of the way

you taught them will remain.

--Mother Teresa

 

 

Life is tough, my darling,

but so are you.

--Stephanie Bennett Henry

 


Though she be but

little she is fierce.

--Shakespeare

 


When one door closes,

another one opens.

--Alexander Graham Bell


There are people who will 

never have what you have now.


There is a difference

between giving up

and knowing when you

have had enough.


Comparison

is the thief of joy.


It' no use going

back to yesterday

because you were

a different person then.

 


It is our choices that show what we truly are,

far more than our abilities.

--Albus Dumbledore

 


It does not do well

to dwell on dreams

and forget to live.

--Albus Dumbledore

 


Everyone has a story.

 


Alcohol: because

no great story

ever started with someone

eating a salad.

  

Everybody has a chapter they don't read out loud.

 


I solemnly swear that

I'm up to no good.

--Harry Potter

 


It’s important to exercise every day!


Sometimes it turns out different

and it's better that way.

 

 Memories

by Alice Chase

  

Memories are made of things

That happen every day

Moments as we live them

Things we do or say.

 

Little bits and pieces

Of laughter mixed with tears

Paragraphs and pages

Written through the years.

 

The carefree days of childhood

The growing pains of youth

A few illusions shattered

In the endless search for truth.

 

The friendships we remember

Mistakes that we regret

The ending of a love affair

We never could forget.

 

Yes, memories are happenings

Each one a different kind

Each one a separate chapter

That is printed on the mind.

 

We can't erase the sadness

Or edit out the tears

We can't undo the wrongs we've done

We can't relive the years.

 

But since memories keep building

Each day can be the start

Of making new and happy ones

To store within the heart!


Christmas Present

by Lois Duncan


I saw the Ghost of Christmas Past

Glide by our lighted tree.

Her arms were filled with dolls and toys

And all were meant for me.

I sensed the rustle of her skirts.

Her blouse was trimmed with lace

And when she turned to smile at me,

She wore my mother's face.


Just as this vision slipped from sight,

I heard my daughter call.

Wild footsteps clattered on the stair,

Shrill giggles filled the hall.

She burst into the gift filled room,

And squealed in glad surprise,

And all the Christmases to come,

Were mirrored in her eyes.


How swiftly fly the rainbow years,

Like splintered shafts of light.

As fragile as the gentle ghosts

Who Whisper in the night.

I draw my child into my arms

And hold this moment fast

Against the time my face will be

Her Ghost of Christmas Past.


Back Home!

 

If I had the power to turn back the clock,

Go back to that house at the end of the block;

The house that was HOME when I was a kid,

I know that I’d love it more now than I did.

 

If I could be back there at my mother’s knee,

And hear once again all the things she told me;

I’d listen as I never listened before,

For she knew so well just what life had in store.

 

And all the advice my dad used to give,

His voice I’ll remember as long as I live;

But it didn’t seem really important then,

What I’d give just to live it all over again.

 

And what I’d give for the chance I once had,

To do so much more for my mother and dad;

To give them more joy and a little less pain,

A little more sunshine – a little less rain.

 

But the years roll on and we cannot go back,

Whether we were born in a mansion or in a shack;

But we can start right now – in the hour that’s here,

To do something more for the ones we hold dear.

 

And since time in it’s flight is travelling so fast,

Let’s not spend it regretting that which is past;

But let’s make tomorrow a happier day,

By doing our “good to others” – TODAY.

Author Unknown

 

Oldies Music:

Taking Care of Business

You Ain't Seen Nothing Yet

American Pie

Joy To The World

Never Been Any Reason

Hitchin' A Ride

Boogie Woogie Flu

Oh, Girl

Long Cool Woman In A Black Dress

Take It To The Limit

Baby Don’t Get Hooked On Me

Hurt So Good

What I Like About You

Get Back

Free Ride

Heartache Tonight

Twilight Zone

Brass In Pocket

 

 

 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Hazel's Story (and extra pictures)

My Mother’s Story Hazel Lucille Mutzner Oct. 21, 1927 to Jan. 10, 1990 Hazel told us (her children) a few memories of her life when she was ...